Wild Yam:the rhizome of Dioscorea villosa,its botanical introduction,various uses based on tradition and modern discovery.
- Basic Botanical Information of Wild Yam,Dioscorea Villosa.
- Botanical Description of Wild Yam,Dioscorea Villosa.
- Properties of Wild Yam,Dioscorea Villosa.
- Wild Yam and Its Phytochemicals and Natural Constituents.
- The Discover of disgenin from Wild Yam Rhizome.
- Pharmaceutical Uses of Wild Yam,and Records from ancient herbalists.
- Why should Women Use Wild Yam?Wild Yam and its hormone banlancing mechanism
- Therapeutic Action,Pharmacology and application of Wild Yam.Dioscorea Villosa and diosgenin.
- Administration Guide,Dosage Suggestions,Safety and Toxicity of Wild Yam preparations.
- Skin Care uses of the Wild Yam,and Safety Report of Dioscorea Villosa in cosmetic formulations.
- Research update of Wild Yam and its constituents.
- Photo Gallery of Dioscorea villosa.
Applications and Properties:
Hormone balancer,substitution of progesterone.
Arrest postmenopausal bone loss,prevent osteoporosis.
Traditionally for clearing congestion(as an expectorant),prompting sweating,alleviating rheumatic pain,relaxing smooth muscles and reducing muscle spasms and colicky pain from gallstones and other ailments
Reduce the pathology of hip and radius fractures.
Stop illness or death from coronary artery disease.
Relieve the symptoms of menopause.
Enlarge breast and show good appearance.
Female complaints such as painful menstrual periods,ovarian cramping,menstrual and childbirth problems,even pregnancy-related nausea and vomiting.
Generate saliva and benefit lung,dyspnea with cough due to lung deficiency,
Replenish kidney and astringe essence,chronic diarrhea,kidney deficiency and spermatorrhea,morbid leucorrhea,frequent micturition,asthenic fever wasting-thirst.
Rheumatic conditions,gallbladder colic,dysmenorrhea,and cramps.
Tonify spleen and nourish stomach,use for poor appetite due to spleen deficiency,
Dioscorea has traditionally been used for easing menstrual cramps and for threatened miscarriage. Its antispasmodic action makes it good for flatulence and colic caused by muscle spasm.
Dosage:Daily intake of up to 9-30 grams of dry root for decoction,or even 250 grams of dry root decoction.Dried root: 2-4 grams or 1-2 teaspoons daily in 2-3 divided doses has been used. 250 mgs of wild yam extract powder 1-3 times daily,or 450-900 mgs per day of dioscorea extract from wild yam.The CP(Chinese-Pharmacopia) suggested the wild yam dry herb used 15 to 30grams daily.The APA suggestion:"Dosage Commonly Reported:The tincture is taken in doses of 1/2 teaspoon twice a day,and the liquid extract is taken in doses of 2 to 4 milliliters.Two 505-milligram root capsules are taken daily."
Safety and Toxicity:
Acute toxicity (LD50):Disgenin(Nitogenin).LD50-Lethal dose,50 percent kill.Oral.Rodent-rat.>8 gm(8000mg)/kg.Details of toxic effects not reported other than lethal dose value.
The APA guide give a safety advice of Wild Yam:"Will It Harm You?What the Studies Say:Although generally regarded as nontoxic,the safety of wild yam ramains a mystery.A number of critics are starting to express concern about the potential for adverse reactions with hormone precursors,especially in the presence of hormone-sensitive conditions such as certain types of breast cancer.Even enthusiasts warn that pregnant women should take the herb only under a doctor's guidance."
- Wild Yam:the rhizome of Dioscorea villosa,its botanical introduction,various uses based on tradition and modern discovery.
♥The article and literature were edited by Herbalist of MDidea Extracts Professional.It runs a range of descriptions about the titled herb and related phytochemicals, including comprehensive information related, summarized updating discoveries from findings of herbalists and clinical scientists from this field.The electronic data information published at our official website https://www.mdidea.com and https://www.mdidea.net, we tried to update it to latest and exact as possible.
♣ last edit date: