Phytochemicals and Constituents of Cassia Twig Cinnamon
- Botanical Description and Information of Cinnamomum Cassia Presl:'Spice of spices'?
- Phytochemicals and Constituents of Cassia Twig Cinnamon.
- Etymology and Brief History of Cassia Cinnamon.
- Premodern Statements and Classics Notes about Cassia Twig and Cinnamon Bark.
- Cases Referential Advice of Cassia Twig.
- Functions and indications of Cassia Twig.
- More Common Indications of Cassia Twig.
- Flavor Description of Cassia Cinnamon.
- Cassia Twig and Cinnamon Bark:Modern Popular Uses,Pharmacology and Cosmetic Uses.
- Cassia Cinnamon and Stomach Tonic.
- Administration and Suggestions of Cassia Cinnamon.
- Difference between Cinnamon Twig(Gui Zhi) and Cinnamon Bark(Rou Gui).
- How search engine think about Cinamon...or...Cinnamon...or...Cassia...or...Senna...or...Spice...or...
- Research Update:Cassia Twig and Cinnamon Bark.
Phytochemicals and Constituents of Cassia Twig Cinnamon.
Cinnamomum zeylanicum famous as name of 'Spice of spices'
Around 200 species of cinnamon are found in the area covered by Southeast Asia, East Asia and the Pacific Islands. In the tertiary period their distribution was much larger. Occasionally cinnamon flowers are seen in Baltic amber! Cinnamons are fragrant. Leaves, bark, flowers, fruits, wood and root always contain essential oil of various composition.
Cinnamon as we know it is the dried bark from the Sri Lanka cinnamon bush, C. zeylanicum. The main component of cinnamon bark oil is the aromatic aldehyde 3-phenyl-2(E)-propenal, also called cinnamaldehyde (about 60 % of the essential oil). However, the oil from the leaves of the cinnamon bush has eugenol as the main component, the oil from the root has camphor as the main component, whereas the oil from the flowers has cinnamyl acetate as its main component.
Coca-Cola's original flavour came from cinnamon,lime oil,cola nuts,etc.
Main Constituents of Cassia Twig Cinnamon.
Cinnamic aldehyde,C9H8O,0.15%~0.70%;Cinnamic acid,C9H8O2.
Similarly to Ceylon cinnamon, cassia contains max. 4% essential oil, 75 to 90% of which are composed by Cinnamic aldehyde. Eugenol is found only in traces, but small amounts of coumarin; therefore, analysis of eugenol and coumarin discriminates between Ceylon and Chinese cinnamon. Trace components of cassia oil are benzoic acid, cinnamic acid, salicylic acid and the corresponding esters and aldehyds. Cassia bark contains significantly more slime (11%) than Ceylon cinnamon bark.
The leaf oil (0.3 to 0.8%) has a similar composition to the bark oil.
Composition: Cinnamic aldehyde, cinnamic acid, cinnamyl acetate, Phenylpropyl acetate, and other essential oils.
Other Phytochemicals:Beta-sitosterol;protocatechuic acid;3-(2-hydroxyphenyl) propanoic acid;3-(2-hydroxyphenyl) propanoic glucoside; leaves contains violatile oil 0.09%~0.46%, the oil majorly composed of alpha-pinene;benzaldehyde,1.14%;2-hydroxyphenylaldehyde,0.21%; acetophenone,0.04%; phenylethanol,0.41%; phenylpropanal,0.58%; 2-methylbenzofuran,0.23%; 2-methoxyphenylaldehyde,0.56%; phenylethyl-2 acettate,0.73%; coumarin,1.16%; cinnamyl acetate,6.55%; 2-methoxycinnamic aldehyde,1.52%; nerolidol,0.16%;etc.
- 1.Cinnamomum cassia Presl.Cassia Twig Extract.
♥The article and literature was edited by herbalist of MDidea Extracts Professional.It runs a range of online descriptions about the titled herb and related phytochemicals,including comprehensive information related,summarized updating discoveries from findings of herbalists and clinical scientists from this field.The electronic data information published at our official website www.mdidea.com and www.mdidea.net,we tried best to update it to latest and exact as possible.
♣ last edit date: