Mucuna pruriens,L-DOPA and its applications.
- Basic Botanical Data of Mucuna pruriens.
- Plant Description:Mucuna Pruriens.
- Phytochemicals and Constituents of Mucuna pruriens.
- Mucuna Pruriens Tribal and Herbal Medicine Uses.
- Herbal Properties and Actions:Mucuna Pruriens.
- Common Benefit and Application of L-Dopa and Mucuna Pruriens.
- Mucuna Pruriens Historical use and Additional Remarks.
- Parkinson's disease and Mucuna Pruriens.
- Mucuna Pruriens Biological Activities and Clinical Research.
- Monoterpene Alkaloid Isolated From Mucuna Pruriens.
- Beans,roots and leaves:a brief history of the pharmacological therapy of parkinsonism.
- L-DOPA:Discovery,Identification and Safety.
- L-DOPA:Cosmetic Applications.
- Research Update:Mucuna pruriens and L-Dopa.
Monoterpene Alkaloid Isolated From Mucuna Pruriens.:
Materials and Methods Plant material:
1. Sampling: Before evaluation of Mucuna pruriens, a sample was drawn for analysis. Considerable care was exercised to ensure that this sample was truly representative. The fresh plant was collected from Sohana, near 8 Mohali in February 1999.
2. Preliminary examination: Macroscopic and quantitative microscopic examination (lycopodium score method) for foreign matter was carried out and it was removed.
3. Extraction: The drug was dried in shade and was pulverized using Waring blender. The drug was passed through various sieves to ensure uniformity of the powder. The powdered drug (100g) was subjected to extraction with 200 ml of carbon disulfide. The carbon disulfide extract of leave and stem of Mucuna prureins was subjected to sterilization using filtration process. (The analytical specifications of the extract are attached in sheet number:1).
4. Detection of Alkaloid: The carbon disulfide extract was further extracted with water: chloroform mixture. The extract was made solvent free, treated with dilute hydrochloric acid and filtered. The filtrate was tested with alkaloidal reagents and it gave orange brown precipitate with Drangendroff's reagent and cream precipitate with Mayer's reagent.
5. Extraction of alkaloid: Moistened carbon disulfide extract was treated with alkali and free from the residues by treating with methyl alcohol and further deffated with petroleum ether. The, the drug was then extracted with ethyl acetate. This treatment freed the plant the pigments, sugars and other secondary constituents. The methyl alcoholic solution was evaporated to thick syrup and subjected to partition between aqueous acid solution and organic solvent.
After continued extraction with solvent for some time, aqueous phase was made alkaline with ammonia. Basic aqueous solution was extracted with solvent followed by drying of alkaloid containing solution normally with sodium sulfate. Then filtration was carried out, which was further subjected to evaporation to yield the alkaloidal principle.
6. High performance liquid chromatography of alkaloid: HPLC was done to obtain finger print analysis of the alkaloid. The chromatographic studies resulted in a single peak at 257 nm confirming the presence of alkaloidal principle.
Conclusions: Alkaloids are known to exist in seeds of Mucuna pruriens. Tryptamine alkaloids like mucanine, mucananine and pruridine are reported to be present in Mucuna pruriens. However this is for the first time that presence of alkaloidal principles has been detected in leaves and stem of the plant. The further investigations in determination of the nature of alkaloids must be undertaken.
- 1.Mucuna pruriens,L-DOPA and its applications.
♥The article and literature was edited by herbalist of MDidea Extracts Professional.It runs a range of online descriptions about the titled herb and related phytochemicals,including comprehensive information related,summarized updating discoveries from findings of herbalists and clinical scientists from this field.The electronic data information published at our official website www.mdidea.com and www.mdidea.net,we tried best to update it to latest and exact as possible.
♣ last edit date: