The name basil is derived from Greek basileus "king",because of the royal fragrance of this herb,the Greek word basileus "king" means essentially "people's leader":bainein "go" and laos "people".
- Basil and Its Basic Botanical Info.
- Basil Plant Description.
- Basil:Cultivation and Havesting.
- Basil Etymology:royal fragrance and basileus,King's Herb.
- Basil:Its Origin and History.
- Main constituents and Phytochemicals of Basil.
- Uses Summary of Basil.
- Basil Applications and Preparation Tips.
- Basil and Class.
- Research Update:Ocimum basilicum.
Basil and Its Basic Botanical Info.:
Scientific Name:Ocimum basilicum L.
Botanical Name:Ocymum basilium (Linn.)
Common Name:Common basil,garden basil,St.Josephwort,sweet basil.
Other names:Sweet basil;St.Joseph wort,Hedge Basil.Hedge Calamint,Arjaka,Common Basil,French Basil,Garden Basil,Luole,Royal Herb,Tulsi
Basil Leaves Extraxct. Ocimum basilicum,Herba Basilici,Sweet Basil
Part Used:Herb. Leaves, flowering tops, essential oil.frequently, the entire herb (all aerial parts) is harvested. Best harvesting season is before flowering. Basil leaves should always be used fresh, as they lose most of their flavour within a few weeks after drying. However, in the Georgian spice mixture khmeli-suneli, dried basil is employed (see marjoram).
- 1.The name basil is derived from Greek basileus "king",because of the royal fragrance of this herb,the Greek word basileus "king" means essentially "people's leader":bainein "go" and laos "people".
♥The article and literature was edited by herbalist of MDidea Extracts Professional.It runs a range of online descriptions about the titled herb and related phytochemicals,including comprehensive information related,summarized updating discoveries from findings of herbalists and clinical scientists from this field.The electronic data information published at our official website www.mdidea.com and www.mdidea.net,we tried best to update it to latest and exact as possible.
♣ last edit date: